- Boston College Law School, JD, 1975
- University of Rochester, BA, 1972
Richard D. BickelmanPartner
Richard leads the firm’s Logistics and Transportation Practice Group and serves as a member of our Corporate and Litigation Departments. He joined Posternak following more than 20 years with Deutsch Williams, where he was one of the founding members of that firm. Richard represents clients throughout the country, including public and privately held companies as well as individuals. Richard seeks to provide all of his clients with tailored, hands-on legal representation ranging from personal advice to general corporate matters to the management of complex litigation. In the course of his practice, he is often called upon to act as outside general counsel conferring on all manner of business initiatives with his clients.
Richard devotes a significant portion of his time to representing middle market companies in a wide range of matters, including acquisitions, financing arrangements, commercial relations and drafting, corporate restructuring, governance, executive compensation, employment policy and administrative matters. He specializes in providing legal services to business involved in the logistics and transportation business, including logistics service providers, motor carriers, freight forwarders, custom house brokers, shipper associations, and companies that “consume” transportation services, such as shippers and receivers of freight.
Richard is a well-versed litigator with extensive experience in commercial disputes and other complex litigations. He also works with animal rights and welfare organizations and maintains an active interest in those practice areas.
Boston Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
Transportation Lawyer’s Association
Served as Law Clerk to the Justices of the Superior Court of Massachusetts from 1979 to 1980
Richard was included in ALM/Martindale-Hubbell’s 2012, 2013 and 2014 Top Rated Lawyers in Transportation Law and in 2015 Top Rated Lawyers in Litigation.
Richard was named Massachusetts Super Lawyer in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 and every year from 2013 - 2017.
Best Lawyers in America, 2005, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
News & Media
- Massachusetts High Court Abolishes “Impossible Standard” For Motor Carriers
- Important Massachusetts Decision in Defense of Independent Contractor Status
- Meet Richard Bickelman, the Elephant-Import Legal Specialist at Posternak Blankstein & Lund
- "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act III, Scene II
- Saving The Shipper And The Ship - How To Protect Against A General Average
- Perils of Today's Economy: Consignee Liability for "Prepaid" Shipments
- Stoppage in Transitu: A Shipper's Self Help Remedy
- Good Importer Practices