- Suffolk University Law School, JD, 1989, cum laude
- Babson College, MBA, with distinction, 1982
- University of New Hampshire, BS, 1979, cum laude
James M. LylePartner
Jim is a partner and Co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Department. His practice is focused in the areas of general real estate, finance and business law.
He has extensive experience in the representation of institutional lenders, REITs and developers concerning construction and permanent financings, joint ventures, sale/leaseback transactions, multi-state commercial loan transactions, debt restructurings/workouts, and commercial sales/acquisitions. He also frequently represents parties involved in commercial leases, construction agreements, and zoning and land use matters involving a wide variety of projects ranging from residential subdivisions to complex commercial developments. His clients include prominent landlords and investors with significant holdings in the Back Bay and throughout the City of Boston.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Jim was the co-founder and managing general partner of a general contracting and property management firm specializing in the renovation, rental and resale of historic and architecturally significant residential properties. He held a similar position with a company he co-founded while in college to service the maintenance painting needs of large apartment complexes which survives today under the direction of Jim’s former partner.
- Represents Frazer Capital and Centremark Properties as lead real estate counsel on their acquisitions, financings and leasing transactions throughout New England.
- Regularly represents C. Talanian Realty Co. in its financings, leasing and development transactions.
- Represented Frazer Capital in its $91 million disposition of its “Back Bay Portfolio”.
- Represented Centremark Properties in the $31.5 million disposition of its Blackstone Square complex in Cambridge, MA.
- Regularly represents Barrett Distribution Centers, Inc. regarding its industrial leases throughout the United States.
- Represented various shopping center owners in their retail leasing transactions, including leases with Stop & Shop, DSW, and numerous chain stores.
- Represented publicly traded REIT in numerous acquisitions and sale-leasebacks of various health care facilities throughout New England.
- Represented BJ’s Wholesale Club in a number of leasing transactions throughout the United States.
- Currently involved in the acquisition and re-development of historic property located in Boston’s “Piano Row”.
Jim was named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer every year from 2012 - 2016.
News & Media
- Are Transit Impact Fees The Right Solution To Aid MBTA?
- Have You Filed Your Tax Abatements With The City of Boston Yet?
- Towns Mount Opposition to Marijuana Dispensaries
- Fighting Foreclosure in the Bay State
- The Commercial Real Estate Market in Boston
- Construction upswing: New jobs.
- Hope for the Hole of the Hub