- Boston University School of Law, JD, 1984, magna cum laude
- Northeastern University, BA, 1981, Highest Honors
Jo-Ann M. MarzulloPartner
Jo-Ann is a member of the firm’s Real Estate Department. Her practice involves leasing, sales and acquisitions, development, construction and design professional contracts, construction loans and permanent loans, and title reviews.
- Represented retailers in acquisition (including land assemblages), leasing development and construction of big box locations and landlords in strip centers and regional malls.
- Represented nursing home operators in the sale and financing, including HUD loans.
- Represented corporation in acquisition, development and sale and leaseback of headquarters campus including office building and distribution center.
- Avoided lender’s liability for an over $2 million unfunded construction overage by rewriting estoppel letter requested by general contractor.
- American Bar Association - Real Property, Trust and Estate Section, Real Property Vice Chair
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Editorial Board of Retail Law Strategist and Planning Committee for US Law Conference
- CREW Boston, Co-Chair of Sustainability Group and former Board of Directors member
- Boston Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Co-author, “Winter Storm Damage: Insurance Coverage and Lessons Learned,” published by Retail Law Strategist, Summer 2015.
- Author, “How Can I Possibly be Liable for a Non-Recover Loan?” published by Retail Law Strategist, Fall 2014.
- Co-author, “Keep Mortgage Loan Promises – Or Else,” published by Retail Law Strategist, Winter 2013.
- Co-author, “Beyond Bankruptcy Basics – Practical Advice Regarding Tenant Bankruptcies,” published by Retail Law Strategist, Summer 2012.
Jo-Ann writes and speaks frequently on the topics of leasing, the interplay of insurance and telecommunications with real estate and construction. Venues have included:
- American Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- CLE International
- Boston Bar Association
- American Law Institute
Jo-Ann’s speaking engagements include:
- Co-presenter, “Ten Biggest Gaps and Status With Insurance and Indemnification in Developing, Operating and Leasing Retail Properties,” ICSC Shopping Center Law Conference, October 2014.
- Co-presenter, “Insurance Basics for Landlords and Tenants”, ICSC Shopping Center Law Conference, November 2010.
- Co-author, “Negotiating and Drafting Lease Insurance Clauses: Top 10 Questions for Practitioners”, Retail Law Strategist, June 2010.
- Presenter, “Commercial Real Estate Leases: Selected Issues in Drafting and Negotiating in Current Markets” seminar, ALI-ABA, May 2009.
News & Media
- Implications and Complications When Leasing to a Franchised Enterprise
- Condo Owners Weed Out Smoke
- Winter Storm Perils: Insurance Coverage and Lessons Learned
- Massachusetts Politician Wins Right to Seek Voter Signatures Outside Supermarket
- How Can I Possibly Be Liable for A Non-Recourse Loan?
- State’s Rail Trail Development Safe
- Keep Mortgage Loan Promises – Or Else
- Beyond Bankruptcy Basics—Practical Advice Regarding Tenant Bankruptcies
- Changing Uses and Use Restrictions in Challenging Times
- Retail Lease Review Checklist
- Massachusetts Prompt-Payment Act Becomes Effective 0n November 8, 2010
- Negotiating and Drafting Lease Insurance Clauses: Top 10 Questions for Practitioners
- Changing Strategies to Maximize Landlord Bankruptcy Claims
- Failure to Disclose Activity and Use Limitation (AUL) Voids Lease
- Landlocked Tidelands Exemption Restored
- Retail Real Estate Awaiting Impact of U.S. Supreme Court Decision Allowing Minimum Price Agreements
- Real Estate Developers take note of the recent "Landlocked Tidelands" exemption
- What Construction Lawyers Need to Know About the Senate Health Care Bill Provision Requiring Construction Companies with More than 5 Employees to Offer Health Coverage