- Boston College Law School, JD, 2004
- Wellesley College, BA, 1998, cum laude
Laura A. OtentiPartner
Laura is a Partner in the firm's Litigation, Logistics & Transportation, and Bankruptcy Departments. She is admitted in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, as well as the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
Prior to joining the firm, Laura practiced in Rhode Island at a well-respected firm in Providence and for the Honorable Michael Silverstein of the Rhode Island Superior Court.
Logistics & Transportation
- Coordinated with government agencies and obtain permits and authorizations to transport elephants internationally and domestically.
- Obtained $250,000 insurance settlement on behalf of motor carrier for damage to cargo.
- Drafted volume service contracts for ocean carriage on behalf of shippers’ association.
- Drafted service contracts between motor carrier, broker, and shipper.
- Advised freight forwarder concerning regulatory compliance.
- Formed corporation for motor carrier and broker services, and obtain federal interstate operating authority.
- Defended broker against claim for freight charges that were not paid by consignee.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of shipper against freight forwarder and warehouse for stolen cargo.
- Obtained TSA Indirect Air Carrier (IAC) authorization for foreign-owned freight forwarder.
- Advised clients as to rights and obligations under the Carriage of Goods by Sea Act (COGSA), the Carmack Amendment, the Shipping Act, Interstate Commerce Act, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations, General Average, Incoterms and Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).
- Represented clients before the Federal Maritime Commission and the civil courts.
- Consummated chapter 11 plan of reorganization for small family business.
- Represented large granite quarry and manufacturer in Chapter 11 case.
- Represented individual and her three real estate development companies in Chapter 7.
- Represented Section 363 Sale purchaser in obtaining assets of Debtor free and clear of liens.
- Researched and analyzed complex UCC issues concerning securitized student loans for Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors.
- Obtained favorable settlement of proof of claim and clear cloud on title to real estate on behalf of commercial landlord in mega-Chapter 11 case.
- Commenced state receivership action on behalf of creditor.
- Obtained relief from automatic stay on behalf of commercial landlords and secured lenders.
- Drafted legal briefs submitted to the Bankruptcy Court of Appeals.
- Obtained favorable verdict on behalf of public housing manager against tenant’s negligence claim.
- Obtained favorable administrative decision for anesthesiologist against employer for unpaid compensation.
- Obtained favorable settlement after filing of appeal on behalf of animals rights organization where the testamentary instrument was ambiguous as to whether the organization or a similarly named organization was the intended beneficiary.
- Defeated Fair Debt Collection Practices action against third party collections company.
- Successfully obtained prejudgment attachment for employer for repayment of funds stolen by employee.
Massachusetts Bar Association
Rhode Island Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
- Litigation Section, Membership Coordinator 2008-2009
- Litigation Section, Co-Chair Massachusetts Practice and Procedure Committee 2009-2011
Coalition of New England Companies for Trade (CONECT)
American Bankruptcy Institute
Laura was named Massachusetts Super Lawyer - Rising Star every year from 2011 - 2016.
News & Media
- Massachusetts High Court Abolishes “Impossible Standard” For Motor Carriers
- Ship in Distress? Get Out Your Wallet
- Important Massachusetts Decision in Defense of Independent Contractor Status
- Workplace Bullying Laws and Litigation: What an Employer Needs to Know
- Accommodation of Religious Grooming and Garb in the Workplace
- CA Workplace Religious Freedom Act
- Beyond Bankruptcy Basics—Practical Advice Regarding Tenant Bankruptcies
- Saving The Shipper And The Ship - How To Protect Against A General Average
- Perils of Today's Economy: Consignee Liability for "Prepaid" Shipments
- Stoppage in Transitu: A Shipper's Self Help Remedy
- Important - Department of Labor Issues Model COBRA Notice
- Layoffs? Downsizing? Time to Evaluate WARN ACT Notices and Other Requirements and to Protect Your Company's Trade Secrets
- Good Importer Practices
- Office Space Without Walls