Posternak tax attorneys provide advice and counsel on a wide range of tax issues relating to the application of the federal income tax laws to individuals, corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and other entities, both for-profit and not-for-profit.
Our tax attorneys engage in general tax planning for individuals and businesses and in tax planning related to specific transactions, such as business sales, mergers and acquisitions, and real estate sales, exchanges, and refinancings.
- We have structured both forward and reverse like kind exchanges of real estate involving the use of qualified intermediaries.
- We have structured private equity funds and other syndicated investment vehicles.
- We have structured the tax-free split up of a number of closely held corporations, including a corporation engaged in the sports marketing and agency business.
- We have designed the structure of tax-free reorganizations of corporations and planned for the taxable sale of both closely held and publicly traded corporations.
- We have structured refinancing transactions in order to avoid the immediate recognition of taxable income from debt forgiveness.
- We have assisted employers in responding to the deferred compensation rules of Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code.
Our tax attorneys also provide income, estate, and gift tax planning services for the owners of closely held businesses. In particular, we advise and assist the owners of these businesses in the most tax-advantaged methods for transferring ownership to younger generation family members and key employees.
Representation of taxpayers before the IRS
Posternak tax attorneys represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service in income, estate and gift, and payroll tax audit and collection proceedings. Our representation begins at the examining agent level, continues on to the IRS appeals office, and, if necessary, includes the U.S. Tax Court and any other judicial forum for the resolution of tax disputes.
Posternak tax attorneys also handle Massachusetts taxation matters, including individual income, corporate excise, and sales and use tax issues. We advise clients on compliance with the requirements of state tax law, and we represent clients before the Massachusetts Department of Revenue and the Appellate Tax Board in response to state tax audits.
Our tax attorneys form and obtain tax-exempt status for, and provide general legal representation to, charitable trusts, non-profit corporations, and private foundations.