- The Viridian
- 200-residential unit development, Boston, MA
- The Hoffman Companies
- Financing and purchase of 60 Temple Place, Boston, MA
- Advanced Engineered Products, Inc.
- Asset sale to Curtiss Wright Flow Control Services Corporation
The health technologies field encompasses a broad array of businesses, including medical product and device manufacturers and distributors, health information technology providers and life science companies. Massachusetts has long been one of the nation’s hot spots for such companies. The seasoned attorneys from Posternak’s business, health care and intellectual property practice areas who make up the firm’s Health Technologies Group bring together a diverse set of legal skills and business relationships that growing companies in these emerging industries need.
Broad Spectrum of Challenges
A growing number of legal issues are particularly important to health technologies companies, including:
- Privacy and confidentiality issues, including compliance with electronic data exchange requirements under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other federal and state laws.
- Electronic health and medical records and electronic health information systems.
- Risk management.
- Protection and commercialization of proprietary intellectual property, including through marketing, distribution and licensing agreements.
The attorneys comprising our Health Technologies Group are adept at assisting clients navigate these and many other issues.
Expertise in Many Areas
During its formative stages and throughout its existence, a health technology company will need legal assistance on many fronts. The Health Technologies Group’s expertise includes:
- Angel, venture capital and bank financing
- Intellectual property and brand protection
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Licensing and distribution
- Supply and service contracts
- Employment, human resources and immigration
- Business formation
- Tax planning
For the emerging and mid-size companies that we typically represent, our approach is more practical and efficient than the larger firms that must support a multi-office infrastructure generally suitable only for very large clients. In addition to the broad range of services our attorneys provide directly, we maintain excellent working relationships with groups of patent lawyers, regulatory counsel and industry consultants who are always available to assist with their specific expertise. This allows us to provide comprehensive yet cost-effective representation of clients in this dynamic field.
- Guided publicly-traded dental laboratory through multi-year roll-up strategy, effecting over twenty acquisitions, and eventual sale to a private equity buyer.
- Representing healthcare software company in connection with multiple rounds of angel and venture financing.
- Advising regional healthcare system with regard to numerous licensing arrangements to support operations and clinical initiatives.
- Representing medical practice management software and service company with respect to licensing, employment and trademark matters.
- Serving as outside general counsel to cardiac device company through several rounds of venture capital financing.
- Representing developer of patient data tracking software in venture financing.
- Representing developer of lifestyle fitness tracking products for corporate wellness programs.
- Represent several medical imaging companies in acquisitions, joint ventures, sales and other transactions.
- Representing diabetes testing company in general corporate and venture financing matters.
- Advised supplier of micro-engineered medical device components.